The contents of this blog are my own personal rantings and opinions and do not represent the positions of the United States government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Machucando mis Primeros Pensamientos ::: Smashing my First Thoughts

My favorite word since arriving in Paraguay is guapa. Yes, it can apply to men as well (guapo), but perhaps my feminist ear is more attuned to hear the feminine version of the word. My mother is the best example of what it means to be guapa. She wakes up before everyone else, makes multiple meals throughout the day to accommodate the various schedules of the family, takes care of her young grandchildren, cleans, washes clothes by hand, irons, runs the store inside her house, and ALWAYS has a smile on her face, despite how tired or how much pain she is in. She is muy guapa, or very hardworking.

Another thought about Paraguay is that the people here are amazing. Paraguyans are a lovely people, who accept me no matter how poor my Spanish or absent my Guarani (the local indigenous language – both Spanish and Guarani are often spoken by residents). Second, I've immediately noticed dogs are of a different status here than in the States. They are not loved the same way, they are sometimes not fed well, and overall their care is just...different. In the small city where I live you will rarely find one that is leashed or fenced. They are free to wander in and off the property. Here in Gurambare they trot into and down the street, and return back immediately after their brief stroll. Third, it is taking me a long time to realize that I am not in the States. Perhaps it's because I moved from apartment to apartment while in Chicago, or back and forth between South Carolina and Illinois, but I am indeed finding that I am arriving in layers; my body has arrived and my mind has yet to follow. Today, I found myself saying here when in fact I was referring to the US, or there. I'm clearly discombobulated. Fourth, the diet here is FULL of carbohydrates and many dishes are fried. So far I've found my meals to lack fiber and nutritional value, aside from those nutrients found in meat. I've been told that diabetes is problem here and working to improve diets is often a secondary project of volunteers. One PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer) told me that in her community the people are aware of the problem and are seeking ways to improve their diet.

Lastly, we were warned before we came that Paraguayans are very particular about personal appearance. I'm finding that to be true within my household. Our mother has already commented on our dirty feet, dirty bookbags, and wrinkled shirts. At the very least I'm glad that she feels comfortable enough to bluntly tell us to address these items, as opposed to working them politely into conversation as I'm told many Paraguayans do. Overall, Jason thinks that we have picked up better habits, although I think that this is especially true for him. Cough. I always ironed my shirts if they were wrinkled or washed something if it was dirty. My evening tasks? To iron the pile of clothes that I have been washed over the last couple of days and prepare for tomorrow's excursion to the capital city of Paraguay, Asuncion.

P.S. Sorry for the grammatical mistakes in past blog entries – I imagine my English teachers to paint these posts with red pen and write “EDIT!” in large letters at the top. Well from now on I'll ***try*** to have my editor (Jason) check my work. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment